Hello! Becoming the Hearing Boss means you need to always ask a lot of questions. No matter what the FDA reveals about OTC hearing aids – always remember the following:
1) A comprehensive audiological evaluation is always the first place to start. A good hearing test not only gives you a good baseline and starting point, it can detect a medical pathology that otherwise would go unnoticed.
2) You get what you pay for. A good hearing test by a licensed, certified audiologist is a covered benefit by most health insurance carriers. Don’t fall for the “FREE” hearing test. A licensed, certified professional does not give their services away for free.
3) Not all hearing healthcare professionals are created equal. Make sure you are working with an educated professional with credentials. Anyone can put on a white coat. Check the credentials of who you’re working with.
4) Not all devices are created equal. You get what you pay for. Period.
5) Don’t fall for anything “FREE” because it never is. Understand what you’re getting, how much it costs, and what’s included. Nothing is really ever free.
Being the Hearing Boss means taking charge. Understanding nothing is free is step one.